What does it do?
Stabilizes and guides woodturning tools while hollowing and finishing giving you a confidence and ease of turning you never thought possible.
How does it work?
Silky smooth motion, stability and precise tool control means you’re free to concentrate on creativity with no worries of catches or vibrations while hollowing.
What tools work with the SHS?
All Simple Woodturning Tools (see them all here) and any turning tool with a 1/2" round handle tang.
Tools with a 3/8" round handle tang can be used the addition of the SHS 1/2” to 3/8” bushing.
Tools with a 5/8" round handle tang can be used by replacing the standard 1/2” tool holder with the optional 5/8" tool holder.
Descriptions of Tools:
Full Size Simple Woodturning Tool choices are (click tool name for picture & details):
Simple Swan Neck Hollower™ - This tool is designed specifically for finishing hollow forms.
Simple Shear Cutting Finisher® - This tool leaves the best surface finish. Available in either 12" length or 16" length.
Simple Turner & Hollower™ - This tool is the simplest to use.
Simple 90° Detailer™ - The sharp point of this tool makes it an amazing tool for hollowing out bowls turned from really hard wood, cutting perfectly square tenons and inside corners.
Simple 55° Detailer™ - Perfect for fine detail work such as beads and coves in spindles.
Simple Rougher™ - This tool is great for shaping the outside radius of a bowl, hollowing out the inside of a bowl, making a vessel with square inside corners and a flat bottom.
- All tools have a 1/2" round tang and can be used in this hollowing system and the Simple Interchangeable Tool Handle.
- Every tool comes with a carbide cutter installed.
How and where is it made?
The entire Simple Hollowing System is made by Harrison Specialties in the Land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota. All components are precision machined on an American made Haas CNC milling machine.
With the laser always showing exactly where the cutter is inside your hollow form or bowl, all the stress and fear of catches is eliminated. Now precise wall thickness is simple to achieve. For example if you what a 1/4" wall thickness simply set the laser light to shine 1/4" away from the cutter. Then hollow out your vessel until the laser light just falls off the outside of the vessel and you will have a 1/4" wall thickness.
- Made in America in Ramsey, Minnesota.
- This fully articulating hollowing system will fit virtually any lathe with split ways, even mini lathes.
- Note: If you own a Nova DVR be sure to let us know and we will ship a mounting base clamp specifically for that lathe.
- This system can be used to turn both the inside and outside of a project. That makes it ideal for turners who must turn while seated or who may have other physical limitations making it difficult to hold tools.
- All Full Size Simple Woodturning Tools® can be used in the system or any other tool with a half inch tang.
- This system will also accept 3/8" (mid size) tools with the addition of the SHS Bushing found here: SHS BUSHING
Watch it is in action on YouTube:
Here's a video showing how to mount it.
Any questions just chat or email us, we're glad to help.