Simple Hollowing System with Laser & Optional Tools
What does it do?
Stabilizes and guides woodturning tools while hollowing and finishing giving you a confidence and ease of turning you never thought possible.
How does it work?
Silky smooth motion, stability and precise tool control means you’re free to concentrate on creativity with no worries of catches or vibrations while hollowing.
What does the laser do?
Guides you to precise wall thickness at all times. Eliminates worries of cutting through the wall just as your bowl is complete.
The commercial quality laser is set so the laser light is offset from the cutting tip by the desired wall thickness of the vessel. When you begin hollowing the laser points mostly to the middle of the vessel. As the vessel is hollowed and the cutting tip moves outward the laser light follows. Once the cutter reaches the desired thickness, the laser light falls off the vessel.
What tools work with the SHS?
All Simple Woodturning Tools (see them all here) and any turning tool with a 1/2" round handle tang.
Tools with a 3/8" round handle tang can be used the addition of the SHS 1/2” to 3/8” bushing.
Tools with a 5/8" round handle tang can be used by replacing the standard 1/2” tool holder with the optional 5/8" tool holder.
How and where is it made?
The entire Simple Hollowing System is made by Harrison Specialties in the Land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota. All components are precision machined on an American made Haas CNC milling machine.
This Simple Hollowing System ships with the laser and optional tools (if you select any) to suit many woodturners. With the laser always showing exactly where the cutter is inside your hollow form or bowl, all the stress and fear of catches is eliminated. Now precise wall thickness is simple to achieve. For example if you what a 1/4" wall thickness simply set the laser light to shine 1/4" away from the cutter. Then hollow out your vessel until the laser light just falls off the outside of the vessel and you will have a 1/4" wall thickness.
- This system can be used to turn both the inside and outside of a project. That makes it ideal for turners who must turn while seated or who may have other physical limitations making it difficult to hold tools.
- This fully articulating hollowing system will fit virtually any lathe with split ways, even mini lathes.
- Note: If you own a Nova DVR be sure to let us know and we will ship a mounting base clamp specifically for that lathe.
- All Full Size (1/2" round tang) Simple Woodturning Tools™ (see them here) can be used in the system or any other tool with a round ½" tang.
- This system will also accept 3/8" (mid size) tools with the addition of the SHS Bushing found here: SHS BUSHING
- The tool holder can be swapped to accept tools with 5/8" round tang. 5/8" Tool Holder available HERE
- Made in America in Ramsey, Minnesota.
Full Size Simple Woodturning Tool choices are (click tool name for picture & details):
- Simple Swan Neck Hollower™ - This tool is designed specifically for finishing hollow forms.
- Simple Shear Cutting Finisher® - This tool leaves the best surface finish. Available in either 12" length or 16" length.
- Simple Turner & Hollower™ - This tool is the simplest to use.
- Simple 90° Detailer™ - The sharp point of this tool makes it an amazing tool for hollowing out bowls turned from really hard wood, cutting perfectly square tenons and inside corners.
- Simple 55° Detailer™ - Perfect for fine detail work such as beads and coves in spindles.
- Simple Rougher™ - This tool is great for shaping the outside radius of a bowl, hollowing out the inside of a bowl, making a vessel with square inside corners and a flat bottom.
Any questions please chat or email, we're glad to help.
Watch it is in action on YouTube:
Should you have a lathe with a solid bed please let me know and I will see about developing a custom mount for your lathe.
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
Simple Hollowing System Assembly & Setup - Simple Woodturning #5
See how to assembly and setup the Simple Hollowing System from...
Prevent laser movement during use of the Simple Hollowing System
How to prevent laser movement while using the Simple Hollowing...
Hollowing a Wood Bowl with The Simple Hollowing System - Simple Woodturning #1
Hollowing a Flame Box Elder bowl using the Simple Hollowing Sy...
Simple Swan Neck Hollower Demo in a Hollow Form - Simple Woodturning - 2
Demonstration of the Simple Swan Neck Hollower tool in a hollo...