Simple Scraper Shaping and Finishing Tool
With four cutter choices (2 oval and 2 rectangle) suitable for nearly any project or material!
What are the benefits of this tool?
- The widest and most unique carbide scraper on the market.
- Beneficial on every project from small pens to large bowls and everything in between because you can shape and finish with a single tool.
- Quickly remove tool marks and create silky smooth profile transitions between inside and outside curves, as well as straight wave free lines.
- Makes a perfectly flat bottom with a smooth transition to the inner wall using the oval cutter, or a square inside box corner using the rectangular cutter.
- Creates a smooth finish with much less tearout and minimal sanding.
- A pen turners dream tool. It's the only tool needed to turn virtually any pen.
Why are there different cutters?
The oval cutter is great for shaping and finishing, combining the usefulness of a square AND round cutter into a single tool.
- Oval cutter (for wood)- The oval cutters are perfect for virtually any curved shape imaginable especially on the outside of your project.
- Oval negative rake cutter (for epoxy/resin, hybrid and wood)- Like the oval cutter but the negative rake grind also makes this cutter less aggressive. This reduces chipping in very hard materials (epoxy/resin), can reduce tear out in softer materials and provides a great finish in both man-made materials and harder woods. Because the negative rake grind is less aggressive, many people find it easier to use.
The rectangular cutters make it simple to create square inside corners, beads and straight lines. Perfect for the inside and outside base of any project.
- Rectangle cutter (for wood)- This cutter shines on the outside of bowls, hollow forms, vases, platers, and wooden pen blanks. You'll also love it for simple spindle work too. Another place you’ll love this cutter is on the inside of a box.
- Rectangle negative rake cutter (for epoxy/resin, hybrid and wood)- Like the rectangle insert but the negative rake grind makes this cutter less aggressive. This reduces chipping in very hard materials, can reduce tear out in softer materials and provides a great finish in both man-made materials and harder woods. Because the negative rake grind is less aggressive, many people find it easier to use.
- Replacement carbide cutters can be found here
How Do I Use the Simple Scraper?
- Position the tool rest as close to the work as possible so the carbide cutter is at the lathe center line.
- Place the tool on the tool rest with the tool shaft parallel with the floor.
- While securely holding the tool slowly move the carbide cutter into the work.
Watch this tool in action here:
What are the Details of the Tool?
- Carbide cutter size: 1.18" x .50" x .10" thick
- Tool measures 1" wide x 3/8" thick x 8" long. Handle tang is 3/8" square (fits in 1/2" hole) x 2.5" long, so tool length once it's in the handle is 5.5".
- Handle Options:
- If used with Full Size Handle with Foam Grip - Tool and handle length is 22".
- If used with Simple Start Handle - Tool and handle length is 13".
- Tool is available unhandled if you'd like to turn your own handle.