Simple Shear Cutting Finisher® Carbide Lathe Tool with Golf Grip Handle.
The modern alternative to conventional bowl and spindle gouges. With Simple Woodturning Tools® it’s all turning and no sharpening so you can start turning immediately.
The introduction of carbide tipped wood turning tools has greatly simplified woodturning.
Gone forever is the long learning curve where precise angles and special tool presentation techniques must be mastered. Also gone is the need to master many sharpening techniques before you can even begin to turn, not to mention the expense of all that sharpening equipment.
Now turning wood with the Simple Shear Cutting Finisher® that's offered here is as simple as these 4 steps.
- Position the tool rest as close to the work as possible so the carbide cutter is at the lathe center line.
- Place the tool on the tool rest with the tool shaft parallel with the floor.
- Rotate the tool handle about its axis (similar to twisting a motorcycle throttle) approximately 35° in the direction you will be cutting.
- While securely holding the tool slowly plunge the carbide cutter into the work.
As you begin to move the carbide tool across the turning and your project takes shape, you will quickly discover how well these carbide tools cut and how simple it is to make beautiful turnings. It won’t be long until you are experiencing the true joy of wood turning that many thousands of fellow wood turners enjoy.
The Simple Shear Cutting Finisher® provides the very best surface finish possible with a carbide tipped woodturning tool.
The reason for this is the saucer shaped carbide cutter. The round tool shaft allows the tool to be rotated about its axis so the cutter is presented to the work at an angle.
This creates a shearing cut much like a conventional bowl or spindle gouge and leaves a superior surface finish compared to other woodturning tools that are held flat and make scraping cuts. Although this is a great benefit on all types of wood it is especially important when cutting soft wood such as spalted Maple.
Flat topped carbide cutters can leave tear out when used on really soft wood. However, the saucer shaped carbide cutter used on the Simple Shear Cutting Finisher™ cleanly slices the soft fibers off the vessel due to the shear cutting action, similar to conventional bowl and spindle gouges. The result is a far superior surface finish.
As with all Simple Woodturning Tools® it's all turning and no sharpening. When the small area of this cutter you're using finally becomes dull, simply loosen the screw and rotate the cutter and you will have a super sharp tool once again.
Simple Shear Cutting Finisher® technical details:
- Carbide cutter - ½” diameter - saucer shaped shear cutting
- Overall tool length – 24"
- Tool Shaft – Solid stainless steel 5/8” diameter
- Handle - Rubber golf grip
- Ships with T15 Torx star tip wrench
Replacement carbide inserts are available Here
See the full line of Simple Woodturning Tools® & accessories HERE
The Mid-Size Simple Woodturning Tools® line of tools includes:
- Mid Size Simple Rougher™
- Mid Size Simple Turner & Finisher™
- Mid Size Simple 55° Detailer™
- Mid Size Simple 90° Detailer™
- Mid Size Simple Shear Cutting Finisher™
- Mid Size Simple Interchangeable Handle™
The Full-Size Simple Woodturning Tools® line of tools includes:
- Simple Swan Neck Hollower™
- Simple Rougher™
- Simple Shear Cutting Finisher®
- Simple Turner & Finisher™
- Simple 55° Detailer™
- Simple 90° Detailer™
- Simple Parting Tool™
- Simple Interchangeable Handle™
- Simple Woodturning Tools® are made in America by Harrison Specialties LLC
Vacuum chuck for your wood lathe available HERE
Any questions just chat or email, we're glad to help.
Here's what our customers say: